With all the hype around the book and a friend inviting me to a book club review, I decided to give it a shot.
Expectations before reading: A racy sexual thriller.
After reading the book I have made the following conclusions:
1) I think the genitals of both male and female should use the correct terms not: My sex and His Length. Everything else she described using the proper scientific terms, but both of those key areas were avoided in the text. Considering a lot of young women and some men are going to be reading this book, who are already uneducated in sexual matters (thanks to our lovely conservative school boards and parents who were uneducated themselves), they have no hope in hell to firmly grasp an accurate representation of what is going on.
2) The main character: Without giving to much away, I can say I am extremely disappointed in the lack of female strength, education and awareness this female character has. As a college student she should have a firm grasp on sexual basics (if not have had experience them, read about it or scene it in movies) she seemed to lack basic sexual knowledge (a good representation of our populist today, I’ll give the author that), but from a fiction standpoint, she could have seem more educated.. or at least have owned a computer. I don’t know a single college/university student today that does not have a computer. And don’t know any self respecting person that would allow sexual/personal conversations to transpire on a work email. DON’T do this!
3) The likely hood this fantasy would actually happen – obviously being a fictional novel this might be the only case this would happen. From the description of the girl and the description of the man and the scenario in which they met, there was hardly enough in that scene to establish the setting of their relationship. Perhaps we need some opinions of the young billionaires out there to comment on how likely it would be they would be interested in someone who is likely 8 years their junior who called them gay in a interview, unkept and completely high maintenance. After a few chapters, the busy business man seems to have a lot of spare time to spent with his lady, he also spents a lot of time with his family. For someone with that much on the go, I find it hard to believe he has that much time to maintain them all and run the business as the character is built up to be in the beginning.
4) Can any girls out there or guys even, tell me if they would want to pay back a billionaire for gifts they have given them? Thanks for that 60,000 car, I really should just keep it on loan from you or pay you back. Forget that! I don’t return gifts from people as it is offensive, to them, especially if they want to give me a car.. or a lap top.. or new photo.. or trip to Paris.
5) The Sex: When I started reading the book, I actually thought it was being written by a man. The entire book is based off of the female character and yet it feel there are so many female emotions and physical reactions that are missed in the sex scenes, especially the first one! I literally laughed out loud. As much as the character had a lot of stuff going on in her head, she really didn’t touch upon what most women think about during, before or after sex. Not just my opinion, this is a shared opinion of others as well.
For all the women out there who think this book is racy (sure it’s out there for new methods) please don’t use it as an instruction manual for your own sexual exploration. Please do your research – porn is never research folks! It is for entertainment purposes only and most of the time it lacks the preparation, fails to show all the effort that is put into warm up, proper use of toys or instruments and proper healthy relationship advice to make sure both participants are entirely consenting and doing these acts for the right purpose.
Sex is about two people enjoying what they are doing, not just about one person. Once it was just used for procreation, now its recreational. Prepare yourself emotionally and physically before attempting to take any sexual act you read in fiction or watch in porn at face value.
If I were going to compare this to a movie.. I would say .. rent it! I won’t be reading the squeals. I really didn’t get anything out of the experience other than we need some better books out there to educate our youth in healthy relationships, proper sexual relationships and experiences. If you are a parent and reading this blog, try to be the best educational resource for your children. If you want the best for them you need to provide them with accurate scientific information about sexual conduct and the risks and make them aware of what consensual and healthy relationships actually are. As you may recall from your own history, we have all made our mistakes learning these things over the years. Help them avoid some of these scenarios through education.
I have been sans a pet for over 6 years now and that void was growing. 3 months of research into dog and cat ownership, multiple website humane society searches, lots of conversations with family and friends about their experiences and several restless nights later… I got a kitten.
Fate would have it that my friend had been feeding a stray cat, that then attracted another stray female cat.. they got shacked up together in their house my friend and her husband made and had a nuclear family. Two boys and a girl. After a few weeks, the cats were rescued from the outdoors and the arms/teet of their stray mother and given shelter indoors.
Once shown these adorable little kittens in person, my heart was set on the girl. Black soft little runt of a kitten Sasha was brought into my home at 8 weeks. Thoroughly prepared (from my months of research), tears of joy filled my eyes and laughter was brought back into the house.
1) Kittens and cats purr – no way to hate this, its adorable and makes you feel as loved as they are.
2) They play in boxes, do crazy ass flips, jump astonishing distances vertically and horizontally and find new ways everyday to make you smile.
3) They love you unconditionally, and if you get a cat, they often like their own space and time to chill on their own. Not knocking dogs, love them too, but they rely heavily on routine, order and their owner for everything.
4) Change of schedule – thought you were going to sleep in – think differently! They like poking you in the face at 4 am and it could be for a cuddle or because they are hungry, doesn’t matter they are cute as hell and I now know what 4 and 5 am look like on a daily basis (kinda nice to see the sun rise).
5) You’re having a bad day – chances are they are not, and you will stop having that bad day once you see their sweet innocent face. They are uncorrupted by our human ways and rescue us from our worst days.
6) That strange noise in the night – not so strange, blame it on the pet, less sleepless nights wondering when you have a cute adorable excuse. Unless you know its not them, you should then turn the light on and figure out what it is. Safety first!
I could go on and on but you get it. Rescue a pet today and start a life full of love and joy. Stress levels will drop and you’ll find an excellent reason to stay in and use the word “play” again. Childhood revived!
In the words of Bob Barker – “Spay and neuter your pets – help control the pet population”